Farmer's Beans and Pasta
A complete meal in a bowl, this pasta dish pairs beans and grain for protein, and includes lots of vegetables for vitamins.
Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 1/2 pound mini penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 small carrots)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup diced zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain. Set aside.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sage, oregano, salt, pepper, and stock. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the beans, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Toss with pasta, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.