Red Curry Paste
Martha Stewart Living, May 2003
Yield Makes about 3/4 cup
- 20 dried long red chiles, seeded, soaked in water with a pinch of salt to cover, and drained
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped galangal
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped kaffir lime zest
- 2 tablespoons scraped and chopped cilantro root
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons shrimp paste
- Add the chiles and salt to a mortar. Pound with a pestle until smooth. Add the galangal, and pound until smooth. Repeat with remaining ingredients pounding each addition until smooth before adding next ingredient.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.