This recipe for grand mere is from chef Terrance Brennan of New York's Picholine restaurant.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008
- Coarse salt
- 20 pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices smoked bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white button mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and return to a boil. Add pearl onions and cook about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Increase heat and add onions and mushrooms; continue cooking until vegetables are browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm until serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.