Potato and Garlic Pierogi
Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
- Prep Time 20 min.
- Total Time 40 min.
- Serves 4
Yield Makes 12
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup (1/2 ounce) freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 egg roll wrappers, cut into 4 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Simmer potatoes and garlic in salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and pass hot potatoes and garlic through a ricer or a food mill. Stir in cheese and 4 tablespoons butter, then the cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon potato mixture onto center of bottom half of each round. Brush edges with water. Fold top half over filling, and press to force out air and seal. Repeat.
- Bring remaining tablespoon butter and the water to a simmer in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pierogi, cover, and steam for 4 minutes. Uncover, and brown until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Top with chives.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.