Mango with Pineapple Ginger Sauce
Buy the mangoes a day or two ahead of time to allow them to ripen.
Martha Stewart Living, March 1995
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 mangoes
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- Remove top and skin from pineapple. Cut lengthwise into quarters; remove core. Chop three quarters of pineapple into large chunks; process in a food processor until smooth. Strain through a sieve or colander into a small saucepan. Discard solids.
- Add vanilla bean, sugar, and ginger to the pan, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice remaining quarter of pineapple, and place in a small bowl. Cut mangoes in half lengthwise, angling the knife slightly to cut around the elongated pit. Cut out and discard pit. Peel mangoes, and discard the peel. Cut mangoes into bite-size pieces, and divide among four plates.
- Remove pineapple sauce from heat. Scrape the seeds from vanilla bean, stir seeds into sauce, and discard the pod. Combine the warm sauce with the diced pineapple, and spoon sauce over each plate of sliced mango. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.