Baked Eggs in Tomatoes
These tomatoes baked with corn, chives, Parmesan cheese, and an egg inside make a nice meal along with some rice, orzo, or a thick slice of toasted bread.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese (1/4 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch baking dish or pie plate with parchment. With a serrated knife, cut off the top 1/2 inch from each tomato. With a spoon or a melon baller, gently remove seeds and inner membrane, being careful not to break through flesh of tomato. Place tomatoes in dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide corn among tomatoes. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and chives and season with salt and pepper. Divide egg mixture among tomatoes and top with cheese. Bake until egg mixture is set, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.