Wilted Spinach Salad with Caramelized Shallots
Try this side with steak, burgers, or goat cheese and crusty bread.
Everyday Food, May 2010
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large shallots, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 bags (10 ounces each) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat 4 teaspoons over medium-high. Add 4 large minced, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Season with and Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until shallots are sticky and browned, about 8 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet, until shallots are dark brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; add 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons and stir to combine. In a large bowl, place 2 bags (10 ounces each) and pour warm dressing over top. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar, toss, and season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.