In this reinvented classic, turkey takes a seemingly rightful place between melted cheese and rye bread, with a mustard-laced take on coleslaw supplanting sauerkraut.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Russian Dressing (http://www.marthastewart.com/263013/russian-dressing)
- 1 ounce thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices cooked turkey
- 3 tablespoons Tangy Cabbage Slaw (http://www.marthastewart.com/281620/tangy-cabbage-slaw)
- 2 dill-pickle sandwich slices
- Heat a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Flip bread over, and spread Russian dressing on the other side of each slice. Place half of the cheese on top of dressing on 1 slice. Top with turkey, cabbage slaw, and pickles. Top with remaining cheese, then the second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Place on grill pan, and cook, pressing down occasionally with a spatula, until golden brown and cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Cover with a heatproof bowl to encourage cheese to melt; use caution when removing.) Cut sandwich in half, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.