Preserved Tomato Halves
This recipe from chef Bill Taibe of Napa & Co. restaurant is used to make Tomato Marmalade for a delicious dinner of Pan-Roasted Striped Bass with Roasted Artichokes, Mushrooms, and Tomato Marmalade.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
Yield Makes 30 tomato halves
- 15 ripe plum tomatoes
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar, for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. With a paring knife, core tomatoes, and score an X on the bottoms. Working in batches, carefully lower tomatoes into boiling water; when skins begin to split (30 to 60 seconds), use a slotted spoon to transfer tomatoes to ice water.
- When tomatoes are cool, peel and halve lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and discard. Place tomatoes on prepared baking sheets and season with salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and transfer to oven. Cook until tomatoes are bright red and sweet, 4 to 5 hours.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.