Lighter Mashed Potatoes
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 16 ounces small-curd low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, halved if large
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, plus stems for garnish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon skim milk
- Puree half of the cottage cheese in a blender; set aside. Cover potatoes with water by 1 inch in a medium saucepan. Add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add both pureed and whole-curd cottage cheese, pepper, chives, butter, and milk. Season with salt. Mash to desired consistency. Serve garnished with chives.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.