Jennifer's Graham Cracker Sandwiches
"I've liked graham crackers since I was a kid," Jennifer Aaronson says. And so these wholesome treats, made with wheat germ and brown sugar, were born. Jennifer fills the cookies with raspberry jam for a burst of fruit flavor (other fruit jams also work), and drizzled chocolate adds an indulgent finish.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- Yield Makes 2 dozen sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for parchment
- 1 cup whole-wheat graham flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Whisk together flours, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in honey. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- Turn out dough, and divide in half. Shape dough into 2 balls. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll out each ball into a rectangle (1/8- to 1/4-inch thick) on a floured piece of parchment. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a fluted pie cutter, mark 24 rectangles (each 1 1/2 by 2 3/4 inches) on each dough sheet, scoring but not cutting all the way through. Prick dough with a fork to create dotted lines. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer dough on parchment to baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 17 to 19 minutes. Let cool on sheet. Break cookies at perforations.
- Transfer chocolate to a resealable plastic bag. Cut a tiny opening in 1 corner. Transfer half the cookies to a wire rack, and drizzle with chocolate. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Spread 1 teaspoon jam on underside of each remaining cookie; top with decorated cookies.
Cookies without chocolate and jam can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week; otherwise, 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.