Sweet Potato Souffle
Mashed sweet potatoes aren't just a tasty side dish -- they also make a maple-sweet showstopper dessert with only 15 minutes of prep.
Everyday Food, October 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for souffle dish
- Sugar, for souffle dish
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Mashed Sweet Potatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/261285/mashed-sweet-potatoes)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2-quart souffle dish; dust with sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; mix in sweet potatoes and egg yolks. Stir in maple syrup and nutmeg, and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of whites into sweet potato mixture; using a rubber spatula, gently fold in remaining whites. Pour mixture into
prepared dish; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until puffed, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately, with whipped cream, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.