Rita's Simply Blueberry Pie
For Rita Pooler, winner of the Wild Blueberry Pie Invitational, part of the annual Union County fair in Maine, the secret to making delicious pie is keeping her recipe as simple as possible.
Martha Stewart Living Television
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cups fresh berries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make the filling: Sprinkle lemon juice on berries. Mix flour, sugar, and cornstarch. Add to berries, and toss lightly. Set aside.
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in vegetable shortening and butter until coarse. Add ice water, and mix gently until moist. Form two balls, and roll out one of them to line pie plate. Spoon filling into unbaked crust. Dot with butter. Roll out second ball, and cover pie. Fold edges of top crust under bottom crust, and flute edges. Slit top of pie to vent.
- Make egg glaze: In a small bowl, beat egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush top of pie with mixture, and sprinkle with white and brown sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. and bake until filling bubbles, about 45 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.