Basic Butter Cookie Dough
One basic dough can make very different but equally delectable cookies.
Spritz Butter Cookies
Cut-Out Butter Cookies
Icebox Butter Cookies
Everyday Food, December 2005
- 3 cups (spooned and leveled) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Egg wash, (optional): 1 large egg white, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Decorating sugar and sprinkles, (optional)
- Place flour, sugar, butter, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; process until mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks and vanilla; with motor running, add to food processor. Process just until a dough forms.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.