- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Cream Filling (http://www.marthastewart.com/260757/cream-filling)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In another bowl, stir together butter, sugar, and egg. Add flour mixture, and stir until a dough forms.
- Divide dough in half; roll out between two sheets of parchment paper to a 1/4-inch thickness. Stack on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place on sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are firm and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool.
- Spread half the cookies with 1 tablespoon Cream Filling; top with remaining cookies.
Use parchment paper to roll out the dough (a floured surface would speckle it). Chill and reroll the scraps to cut out even more cookies.