Cote de Boeuf with Hash Browns
Crunchy, delectable, diner-style hash browns -- with rib eye? This idyllic rendition makes the duo seem predestined. The potatoes' unmistakable scent of onions and bacon nudge the lightly peppered steak au poivre squarely toward the American palate. You can always call the side rosti if giving it a Swiss accent makes you feel any better.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 1 bone-in rib eye steak (1 3/4 to 2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns, plus more freshly ground
- Coarse salt
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coat steak with crushed peppercorns, and season with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until
crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted
spoon, transfer bacon to a bowl. Add onion to drippings in pan, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add to bowl with bacon.
- Grate potatoes on the largest holes of a box grater. Rinse under cold water
for 2 minutes, then drain. Place potatoes in cheesecloth, and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to onion mixture,
season with salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons
oil in a medium cast-iron skillet
over high heat. Spread potato mixture
in skillet, pressing down with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until golden brown on bottom,
about 15 minutes. Flip, and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake until potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons
oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook steak on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven, and roast until steak registers 125 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 10 minutes
for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board, and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice, and serve immediately with hash browns.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.