Sopa de Ajo
This delicious recipe is from "Spain: A Culinary Road Trip," featuring Mario Batali with Gwyneth Paltrow.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2008
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound stale bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Coarse salt
- 8 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 6 large eggs
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread and cook, stirring until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, pimenton, and season with salt. Cook until very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil; immediately reduce heat and simmer until bread is very soft, about 15 minutes; season with salt.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Break one egg at a time into water. Poach for about 2 minutes for a runny yolk or longer if desired. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel-lined plate and drain slightly. Ladle soup into 6 bowls and add an egg to each; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.