Treat yourself to a savory cheese souffle with this recipe from Judith Jones' "The Pleasure of Cooking for One."
Photo Credit: Christopher Hirsheimer
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2010
- 2 1/2 teaspoons softened unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- Large pinch of coarse salt
- Small pinch of paprika
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup tightly packed grated cheese, such as aged cheddar, Swiss, or an aged mountain cheese
- Brush the inside of a 4-by-2 3/4-inch round baking dish with 1/2 teaspoon butter; coat bottom and sides with Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a rack set in the center of the oven.
- Melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat; stir in flour. Let cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Add milk and whisk vigorously to combine. Return to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened; season with salt and paprika. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolk.
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks. Add a dollop of egg whites to saucepan along with half of the cheese; stir to combine. Fold in remaining egg whites and cheese and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Bake until top is lightly browned and souffle has risen, about 18 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.