Boiled Beets with Sauteed Beet Greens
If you are lucky enough to find fresh bunch beets with nice, fresh leaves, don't waste them -- beet greens are just as delicious as beets themselves. Serve the two together to get the best of both worlds.
Martha Stewart Living, March 1998
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 pounds medium beets, greens removed and washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with water, and set over high heat. Bring water to a boil. Stir in salt, and add beets; boil until beets are fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, let cool, and rub off skins under cold water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until just golden, about 3 minutes. Add beet greens, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing greens until wilted. Remove skillet from heat. Serve warm greens with whole boiled beets. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.