Truffle Mashed Potatoes
Fresh white truffles shaved over the mashed potatoes would be an extravagant addition, but white-truffle oil lends the same intense aroma at a fraction of the price.
Martha Stewart Living, February/March 1994
- 4 (about 2 pounds) Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white-truffle oil
- Place whole unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan of cold water. Add salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender when pierced with the tip of a small knife, about 40 minutes. Drain.
- When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes, and put through a ricer or food mill fitted with the finest blade. Beat in butter with a wooden spoon. Beat in hot milk little by little until a smooth, creamy consistency is achieved. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (If making ahead of time, keep in a heat-proof bowl, covered with aluminum foil, set over a pot of hot water. You may need to add additional hot milk to thin).
- Just before serving, whisk 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil into potatoes. After serving potatoes, make a little well in each portion and drizzle 1/4 teaspoon oil on top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.