Giant Sugar Cookies
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
Yield Makes 10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with one rack in upper third and another in lower third. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 4 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat well to combine.
- With mixer on low, add half the flour mixture, followed by sour cream, then remaining flour mixture; mix just until smooth. (Dough will be stiff; you may need to finish mixing it by hand with a wooden spoon.)
- Drop mounds of dough, each equal to about 3 tablespoons, 3 to 4 inches apart, onto two ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with sugar. Bake until edges of cookies are just firm and tops are barely beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating sheets once halfway through. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.