This cold-weather winner is simply red wine infused with spices, but the flavor combo can produce spectacular results.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- 15 juniper berries
- 7 green cardamom pods
- 1 bottle (750 mL) red Zinfandel
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 3 kumquats (halved)
- 1/2 orange (sliced)
- 1/2 Meyer lemon (sliced)
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
- Orange or lemon slices, for garnish
- Combine juniper berries and cardamom pods in a cheesecloth sachet. Heat Zinfandel, sugar, kumquats, 1/2 orange (sliced), 1/2 Meyer lemon (sliced), and spice sachet over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sachet and fruit; discard. Divide among 6 mugs or
heatproof glasses. Stir Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur into each. Garnish with orange or lemon slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.