Giant Almond Crumb Cookie
This cookie is meant to be baked, presented, and then broken or cut into individual portions.
Holiday Cookies 2001, Special Issue 2001
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground (5 1/4 ounces) blanched almonds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk almonds, flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Work in butter until completely incorporated with no dry crumbs.
- Transfer all but 1 1/2 cups of mixture to pan. Press mixture into pan to compress dough. Sprinkle with reserved 1 1/2 cups of mixture; transfer to oven.
- Bake, rotating pan two to three times, until cookie begins to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees. bake until golden brown and fairly dry, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove from pan. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.