We did side-by-side tastings with meatballs: one included panko and the other, regular breadcrumbs. The ones with panko were much lighter-and tastier!
Everyday Food, May 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 8 ounces ground beef chuck
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, panko, egg, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix just until combined (do not overmix). Using a level 1/4-cup measure for each, form mixture into 12 meatballs. Note: Use a 1/4-cup measure per meatball to ensure uniform size. For easy cleanup, place on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high. Add meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Tilt skillet away from you, and pour in tomato sauce. Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve meatballs and sauce, garnished with more rosemary, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.