Ghost of Monte Cristo Sandwiches
These Ghost of Monte Cristo sandwiches are a delicious Halloween-inspired meal.
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2005
- 4 slices Sara Lee Country Potato Bakery Bread
- 4 slices Sara Lee Baby Swiss Cheese
- 2 slices Sara Lee Oven Roasted Breast of Turkey
- 2 slices Sara Lee Virginia Brand Baked Ham
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Lay bread slices on work surface. On 2 bread slices, place 1 slice cheese, 1 slice turkey, 1 slice ham, and 1 more slice of cheese; top each with remaining bread slice.
- Using a 5-by-4-inch ghost-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a ghost-shaped sandwich; repeat with remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, and salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Dip each sandwich in egg mixture to coat well on both sides, and place in skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately, dusted with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.