This is a simple and delicious supper for your family any night of the week!
The Martha Stewart Show, December Fall 2007
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 15 to 18 small whole calamari bodies, tentacles removed (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-to-16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, lightly crushed by hand
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Polenta (http://www.marthastewart.com/261418/creamy-polenta)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Add onion and poblano and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and butter and cook until butter has melted. Remove from heat. Add breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons parsley, and 1/4 cup water; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Using a spoon, stuff each calamari body with about 2 tablespoons breadcrumb mixture; thread a toothpick through the open end to enclose. Sprinkle stuffed calamari with any remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add calamari and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and continue to cook 2 more minutes. Add wine; let reduce for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon parsley. Remove toothpicks and serve immediately with creamy polenta.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.