Sea Turtle Ice Cream Cake
Recipe from Martha Stewart Kids, Summer 2005.
- Yield Makes one 10-inch cake
- 3 1/2 quarts mint-chocolate-chip ice cream
- Vanilla Bowl Cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/263634/vanilla-bowl-cake)
- 1 large scoop chocolate ice cream
- 2 small round white candies such as Mentos and M&Ms, for decorating
- Black licorice laces, for decorating
- 4 chocolate-mint wafer cookies (1 1/2-inch round), for decorating
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Scoop out 2 1/2 quarts mint-chocolate-chip ice cream (about thirty-five 1 1/2-ounce scoops), and place on prepared baking sheet; refreeze for at least 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften remaining 1 quart mint-chocolate-chip ice cream; set aside. Line a 12-cup bowl with plastic wrap; freeze briefly, then fill with the scoops of ice cream, rounded side down, to extend beyond rim (fill in gaps with extra).
- Place cake, flat-side up, over ice cream scoops, then spread softened mint-chocolate-chip ice cream on top using an offset spatula. Cover with plastic wrap, and refreeze for at least 4 hours.
- Unmold ice cream cake onto a serving platter. Using a 2 1/2-ounce ice cream scoop, carve a niche into the edge of the turtle shell; nestle a scoop of chocolate ice cream into niche for the head. Decorate head using white candy for the eyes and black licorice for the mouth and nose. Tuck chocolate-mint wafers under cake for feet. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.