Pumpkin Pie with Graham Crust and Candied Pepitas
Martha Stewart Living, November 2006
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, halved, or 1 1/2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin
- Graham Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/262106/graham-crust)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground clove
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- Candied Pepitas (http://www.marthastewart.com/282049/candied-pepitas)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using fresh pumpkin, roast pumpkin, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet until soft, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely. Discard seeds. Scoop out flesh, and transfer to a food processor; process until smooth. Set aside 1 1/2 cups puree (freeze any remaining puree in an airtight container up to 1 month.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press crust mixture into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch metal pie plate. Freeze 15 minutes. Bake crust until dry and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Whisk pumpkin and eggs in a bowl. Stir together brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spices in another bowl. Whisk into pumpkin mixture. Whisk in evaporated milk. Tap firmly on counter to release air bubbles. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Place cooled crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour in filling. Tap to release air bubbles. Bake until set, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely. Sprinkle with pepitas. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.