Oyster, Eggplant, and Tasso Gratin
This recipe for oyster, eggplant, and tasso gratin is courtesy of chef Susan Spicer.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Fall 2007
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dishes
- 1 pint shucked oysters in their liquor
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth or milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium to large eggplant, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ounces finely chopped tasso (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Cheesy Breadcrumb Topping (http://www.marthastewart.com/257500/cheesy-breadcrumb-topping)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 4 individual shallow baking dishes.
- Drain oysters into a large bowl, reserving liquor. Check oysters for any pieces of shell and discard. Strain liquor through a fine mesh sieve; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, then add reserved oyster liquor and broth or milk. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Whisk in cream and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, hot sauce, and nutmeg. Remove mixture from heat; cover sauce to keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion, tasso, and garlic; stir in sage and rosemary. Cook until eggplant is tender and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper; transfer mixture to a colander; let stand to drain excess oil, about 5 minutes.
- Spread mixture evenly in baking dishes; top with an even layer of oysters. Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle over breadcrumb topping. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.