Eggplant Puree with Yogurt
- 3 eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups plain whole milk yogurt, preferably Greek-style yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves, garlic crushed
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds, (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Using a sharp knife, prick eggplants in 3 to 4 places with the point of the knife so that they will not burst. Place eggplants on a baking sheet, and place under the broiler. Broil, turning occasionally, until skins are black and blistered and very soft when you press them. Remove, and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel eggplants and place them in a colander to drain. When drained, roughly chop flesh and return to the colander. Mash flesh with a fork until smooth and let drain.
- Transfer flesh to a medium bowl. Add oil, yogurt, and lemon juice; stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in garlic and salt. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish, if desired, with parsley and pomegranate seeds. Serve cold.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.