Yield Makes about 2 dozen
- 1 small white onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater or minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots (about 4 medium), peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1/4 pound beets (about 2 medium), peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1/4 pound russet potato (about 1 small or 1/2 medium), peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- Add flour, salt, and pepper, and stir until incorporated. Add carrots, beets, and potato, and toss until combined and evenly coated.
- Fill a large skillet with about 1/2 inch oil. Place over medium heat until oil is almost smoking. (To test, drop a small bit of batter into the skillet; it should sizzle upon contact.)
- Working in batches so as not to crowd skillet, carefully spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into oil for each latke. Lightly tamp down to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a paper-towel-lined wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with sour cream and applesauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.