Pasta with Chickpea-Tomato Sauce
Everyday Food, April 2009
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 12 ounces medium pasta shells
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (do not brown). Add chickpeas, season with salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has reduced slightly, 20 minutes. Add basil, and cook 5 minutes more. Remove basil.
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain pasta, and return to pot.
- Add sauce to pasta, and toss. Serve with Parmesan, and garnish with torn basil.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.