Eggs of Newt
Try this deceptively devious recipe for a fun -- and tasty -- Halloween snack.
Martha displayed this spook-tacular treat on a special Monster Buffet during her Halloween Monster Bash with Jimmy Fallon.
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2009
- 1 (7-ounce) box large tapioca pearls
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 (1-inch) pieces lemon peel
- 1 to 2 drops green liquid food coloring
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and cook until tender and swelled, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, lemon peel, and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add food coloring; stir until well combined. Transfer to a large bowl and add lemon juice and orange liqueur; stir until well combined.
- Drain tapioca pearls and transfer to bowl with sugar mixture; stir to combine. Refrigerate until cool. Serve chilled with straws.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.