Rich in folic acid and vitamin C, beets, which are sweet root vegetables, are a colorful, nutritious addition to the dinner table.
Everyday Food, September
- Prep Time 1 hour
- Total Time 2 hours
- Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 1/2 recipe Basic Roasted Beets (http://www.marthastewart.com/285349/basic-roasted-beets), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, until golden brown and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add rice; stir to coat. Stir in wine; cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth; simmer, stirring, until almost all is absorbed. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 25 minutes total.
- Stir in beets, butter, and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.