Babycakes NYC is a bakery in New York City that specializes in allergen-free treats. Cofounder Erin McKenna shows Martha how to make brownies that are wheat-, gluten-, dairy-, casein-, and egg-free.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2007
- Yield Makes about 5 dozen mini brownies
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 cup unrefined sugar or 10 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee or hot water
- 2 cups vegan gluten-free chocolate chips, such as Tropical Source
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush 3 dozen mini-muffin pans with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, potato starch, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, 1/2 cup canola oil, and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in coffee until it forms a batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared muffin cup. Transfer muffin pans to oven, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.