Whole-Grain Morning Loaf
Soft walnut-date bread is a world away from a nondescript deli bran muffin; top a slice with honey and fiber-rich raspberries.
Photography: Ellie Miller
Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
Yield Makes one 10-by-5-inch loaf
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 large apple, such as McIntosh, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3/4 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse wheat bran
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 1/2 teaspoons whole brown flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 10-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Wrap apple in paper towels; squeeze out liquid.
- Whisk together the flours, wheat bran, wheat germ, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Stir together apple, yogurt, applesauce, honey, eggs, and vanilla with a rubber spatula in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture. Fold in dates and nuts. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with flaxseed.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Unmold.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.