Parsnip and Pear Puree
- 3 pounds parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Coarse salt
- Place parsnips in large saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; add pears, cover, and let stand until pears are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups of liquid.
- Using an immersion blender or blender in small batches, puree parsnips and pears, adding reserved liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Transfer puree to a large bowl; stir in butter and chives. Season with salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.