Polenta Wedges with Asparagus and Mushrooms
A small amount of cream is all it takes to make these mushrooms taste luxurious.
Everyday Food, January 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Polenta (http://www.marthastewart.com/259832/polenta), chilled, cooked, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed (stalks peeled if tough)
- Heat broiler, with rack 5 inches from heat. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in cream and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in oven to heat, 5 minutes. Pat polenta wedges dry with a paper towel and lightly brush both sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Toss asparagus with 1/2 teaspoon oil.
- Carefully place asparagus on one half of hot sheet and season with salt and pepper; place polenta on other half of sheet.
- Broil until polenta is golden brown and asparagus is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes, rotating sheet and tossing asparagus halfway through. Serve polenta wedges with asparagus and creamy mushrooms.
To create neat wedges, loosen and invert the polenta from the baking dish, then cut into pieces.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.