Flaky Tart Dough for Apricot Tart
Yield Makes two 9-inch tart crusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons cold solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- Ice water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and shortening, and pulse until the mixture forms little balls, and no chunks of butter or shortening remain, 5 to 10 times. Do not over process.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the ice water. Repeat 3 times more. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until it just begins to come together as a dough. If necessary, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the dough into 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.