Asian Pears with Star Anise Baked in Parchment
Photography: Hans Gissinger
Martha Stewart Living, January 2005
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Asian pears
- 4 whole star anise pods
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth, dry white wine, cider, or water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper to measure 12 square inches each. Juice lemon into a small bowl. Halve each pear horizontally. Dip cut sides of pear in lemon juice (to prevent browning). Using a melon baller, remove core from each half.
- Place 1 star anise in cored center of each pear. Drizzle 1 tablespoon honey over each star anise.
- Place a pear half, cut side up, on each piece of paper. Working with one piece at a time, hold pear half in paper in the palm of your hand; gather edges of paper around fruit with your free hand. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour 1 tablespoon vermouth into pear half in parchment. Twist paper tightly around top of each fruit to seal. Bake 45 minutes; pears should be tender. Transfer packets to shallow bowls. Serve immediately, opening packets at the table.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.