Spinach with Crispy Chickpeas
This healthy side dish recipe is courtesy of chef Andrew Carmellini.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 1 pound fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- Place chickpeas on a paper-towel-lined plate to allow any excess liquid to be absorbed.
- Place flour in a deep bowl; add chickpeas and toss until completely coated with flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. When oil begins to smoke, add chickpeas, shaking pot to coat chickpeas with oil; chickpeas will begin to snap and pop. Keep shaking or stirring pan occasionally, until chickpeas are golden brown all over, about 4 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; using a slotted spoon, transfer chickpeas to a plate and set aside.
- Place pot over medium-high heat and add remaining tablespoon oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add red pepper and spinach to pot and cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue cooking until spinach has completely wilted, about 30 seconds more.
- Transfer spinach to a serving plate and top with chickpeas; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.