Red, White, and Blue Tarts
Martha Stewart Living, July
Yield Makes three 3 3/4-inch-by-13 1/4-inch charts
- 2 recipes Pate Sucree
- 1 recipe <u>Creme Fraiche Filling</u>
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint golden raspberries
- 1 cup apricot jam, melted and strained
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a disc of pate sucree 1/8 inch thick to fit a 3 3/4-by-13 1/4-inch, fluted, rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom. Brush off excess flour with a dry pastry brush. Carefully transfer dough to tart pan, tuck dough into the edges, gently pressing along sides, and allow excess dough to overhang the edges. Trim the dough by running your rolling pin over the dough against the edges. Gently shape the edges by pressing the length of your forefinger against each flute along the sides. Prick all over the bottom with the tines of a fork. Transfer to the refrigerator, and chill for 1 hour. Repeat with 2 more discs of dough. Reserve the remaining disc for another use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove chilled tart shells from refrigerator, and line each with a piece of parchment paper that overhangs the edges by at least 2 inches. Fill parchment with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until just starting to color, about 20 minutes. Remove parchment and weights from tart shells, and return tart shells to oven. Continue baking until tart bottom is golden, about 20 minutes more. Transfer tart shells to a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely. Carefully remove tart shells from pan.
- Using an offset spatula, spread 1/3 of the creme fraiche filling into the bottom of each tart shell. To glaze blueberries, toss in a small bowl with 1/2 cup strained apricot jam. Arrange blueberries in one of the shells. Arrange raspberries in second shell and brush carefully with remaining 1/2 cup apricot jam. Arrange golden raspberries in the third shell. Generously dust golden raspberries with confectioners' sugar. Arrange tarts on a serving platter. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.