This delicious recipe for apple chips comes from "Martha Stewart's Healthy Quick Cook Book."
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2007
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Granny Smith or Ida Red apple, peel on
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice apple lengthwise into 1/16-inch thick slices using a mandoline, continuing to the core. Turn, and slice the other side of apple; discard core.
- When sugar has completely dissolved, place 5 or 6 slices of apple into the sugar syrup and simmer for 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer slices to a wire rack to drain. Repeat process with remaining apple slices.
- Lightly brush 2 baking sheets with vegetable oil and arrange apple slices in a single layer. Bake until apples are crisp, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The apple chips will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.