Light Cherry Cheesecake
This cheesecake boasts a velvety texture with less fat than the original, thanks to lighter versions of cream cheese and sour cream, plus plenty of cottage cheese.
Everyday Food, January 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 3/4 hour plus chilling
- Serves 10
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 graham crackers (3-by-5 inch)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 3 cups low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
- 8 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) frozen cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with rack set in lower third. Assemble a 9-inch springform pan with the rimmed side of the pan facing down. Coat pan with cooking spray; line side with a long strip of waxed or parchment paper.
- In a food processor, grind graham crackers until fine crumbs form. Add oil, and pulse to moisten. Transfer crumbs to prepared pan, and press firmly into the bottom. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until crust is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe bowl and blade of food processor. Blend cottage cheese and cream cheese until very smooth and glossy, scraping down bowl as necessary, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar, sour cream, eggs, flour, vanilla, and salt; blend just until filling is smooth.
- Pour filling onto crust (crust can be hot or warm). Bake until barely set in center, about 1 hour. Turn oven off; let cake cool in oven 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
- Make topping: In a large skillet, combine cherries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Boil over high heat until liquid is thick and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- To serve, unmold cheesecake (peel off and discard paper). Transfer to a serving platter; top with cherry topping.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.