Whole-Grain French Toast
In this nutritious twist on classic French toast, soft tofu takes the place of the usual eggs in the cinnamon-spiced batter; the whole-grain bread is browned in a skillet and baked to finish. Return to Healthy Whole-Grain Bread Menu
Photography: Kalyn Sims
Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- 8 ounces soft tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices (1/2 inch thick) Whole-Grain Bread (http://www.marthastewart.com/261179/whole-grain-bread)
- Fresh fruit, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put tofu, milk, 2 teaspoons honey, the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt into a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer batter to a shallow baking dish large enough to hold 2 bread slices in a single layer.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Soak 2 bread slices in batter, flipping once, about 30 seconds per side; lift slices from batter, letting excess drip back into dish. Transfer to skillet, and cook until bottom is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, and transfer skillet to oven. Bake until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer French toast to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining butter, bread, and batter.
- Divide French toast among 4 plates; drizzle each with 1 tablespoon honey. Serve immediately, garnished with fruit.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.