Romaine with Roast Beef and Mango
A ripe mango is firm with some give. Before slicing, peel with a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Place peeled mango on its narrow side and, using a sharp knife, cut to each side of the pit, slicing off as much flesh as possible. Reserve the pit for its juice. Slice the mango crosswise, not lengthwise.
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces thinly sliced romaine lettuce, (about 3 cups)
- 1 mango, thinly sliced
- 12 thin slices leftover Roast with Potatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/262649/roast-with-potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high. Add chili powder and rice, stirring until rice is coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups water and salt; bring to boil. Cover, and reduce heat; simmer until rice absorbs liquid, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine rice, romaine lettuce, mango, eye of round slices, and lemon juice. Squeeze mango pit over salad; add remaining tablespoon canola oil. Toss to combine. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.