Perfect White Cake
Martha Stewart Living, January 2004
- 18 tablespoons (2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 4 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising) plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 9 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 pint raspberries
- 5 to 6 cups Italian Meringue Buttercream for Perfect White Cake Italian Meringue Buttercream for Perfect White Cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/258484/italian-meringue-buttercream-for-perfect)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour three 9-by-2-inch round cake pans, tapping out excess flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together, milk, egg whites, and extracts. Into a second medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. With machine running, gradually add the sugar. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture and one-third of the milk mixture, and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add remaining flour and milk mixtures in 2 separate batches beating between additions to fully incorporate. Scrape down sides of bowl, and stir by hand to finish.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Smooth surface with a rubber spatula. Bake until top of cake springs back when lightly pressed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Run a small metal spatula around the sides of the pan, and invert cakes onto greased racks. Reinvert cakes onto cooling rack. Let cool completely before filling.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand. Spread 3/4 cup buttercream evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle with a few raspberries. Top with a second layer. Repeat with a second layer. Top with third cake layer. Insert a few skewers into cake to keep cake from sliding. Spread remaining buttercream evenly over surface of cake. Decorate cake with raspberries. Remove skewers before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.