Carrot Raisin Salad
This deli-type salad is made without mayonnaise; simmering the carrots and raisins with vinegar and spices brings out their sweetness.
Everyday Food, June 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and coarsely grate 1 pound carrots (to yield 4 to 5 cups).
- In a large skillet over high heat, bring 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes to a boil.
- Add carrots and 1/3 cup raisins; toss to coat. Reduce heat to medium; cover, and cook until carrots are crisp tender, tossing occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Transfer to a covered container; chill until ready to serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.