Sesame Beef and Broccoli
You can make this hearty, one-dish meal in just half an hour. It's a great choice for lunch or dinner on a cold winter day.
Martha Stewart Kids, Winter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 piece (3/4 pound) filet of beef, cut in 3/4-inch strips (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound broccoli, florets cut into small pieces, stalks peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add beef, and sprinkle with the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate.
- Add scallions and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is dry, about 3 minutes. Stir together broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl, and add to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is no longer cloudy, 1 to 2 minutes. Return beef and any juices to pan; cook, stirring often, until beef is heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in sesame oil. Serve with rice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.