- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh berries, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a fork or dough cutter, cut in butter until crumbs form. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, cardamom, and lemon zest into remaining crumb mixture until combined. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top. Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 30 minutes. Serve cake warm or at room temperature with fresh berries.
Store cooled cake in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.